Monday, July 6, 2009

Shepherd

Ahh, the words of King David...a lowly shepherd boy who became a great king, who became known as a man after God's own heart.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

Truly, I need a shepherd. I long to let Him make me lie down. Sometimes our good Heavenly Father makes us lie down. Sometimes through sickness, sometimes a gentle longing to rest. I long for Him to wrap His arms around me and restore me! To lead me, to depend on Him....completely.
Sheep are not known for their intelligence, they are instead thought of to be sort of slow, and certainly simple minded. They don't try to take things into their own hands....oh to be a sheep.
I say this psalm to my littlest one each night before I lay him down. He leans in to me and places his forehead on my chin. It is a complete surrender to rest, to being held and to being loved. Jesus says to let the children come to him. That if we have faith such as little children, then ours will be the kingdom of heaven. I know, when I am worried or distressed, that I am not giving glory to my Father, but instead am honoring satan in his work of destruction. I am giving credence to the fallen angel, giving power to his schemes of worry, stress, fear and pain. My heavenly Father loves me TOO MUCH to let my soul be damned eternally. I know that there will be pain and fear and hardship in this life, but oh so much more is the JOY that awaits in the next. But right here, right now, I have loving children, family and friends...and my heavenly Father. I am not alone. While I may rail and rant, while I may cry and be saddened, it must not last. I believe that even my Father gets sad, but when we turn it around, He delights in us. For me to be sad is okay. For me to get worried is okay. But for me to carry it, for me to take my own burdens and KEEP them is NOT OKAY. For me to hold steadfast to fear and anxiety and worry is not in obedience to my Father who loves me.

Help me today, Father, to lie my head against you while you whisper in my ear. Help me to be restored in you, to be led along your paths, and to know that Goodness and mercy shall follow me as I follow you all the days of my life.
Thank you for allowing me to see you, Lord, thank you for allowing my eyes to be opened today, and to smile again, by your Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment