Thursday, July 16, 2009

Moment.

Let me try to paint a word picture. The Bible is full of them, and so many, if the time is taken, are so beautiful that they bring tears to the eyes, and a swelling to the heart.

Tonight. Under the shade of a mighty oak close to 100 years old, the grass is green, soft and welcoming. A light breeze ripples through the leaves, creating a whisper of summer. The air is warm, and smells of heat, barbecue, and laundry. Perfect.

Sitting on the grass, the one year old alternates climbing in and out of my lap. Out...holding my shoulder with one hand, stepping over my criss-crossed legs, wobbling on his own, then backing up, little bootie out, to lower himself into my lap. plunk. The 4 year old...brimming with excitement, smiles bubbling over with joy. Lying on his stomach for full benefit. The 6 year old is criss-cross also. He is growing up so big. So fast. Thick hair ruffled by the breeze, smile lazy and full. Happy from a busy day.

Watermelon. Red. Ripe. Juicy. The one year old, out of the lap, reaching forward to grab a piece from my hand. "AAAHHHH", he says. The 4 year old, lying on his stomach to eat like a puppy, juice dribbling, no, rolling, sloshing down his chin, spread from red cheek to red cheek. The 6 year old, so big, sitting so straight, juice flowing freely down his chin also.

All healthy. All strong. All miracles. All amazing. And I look at it and say, "It is good."

For a moment, all the world is forgotten. The hurry, the rush, the anger, frustration, worry, fears, and brokenness of this corrupt world....vanished. For a moment, God is present. Fully, and without compromise. In the children. In me. In full and unabashed contentment.

Thank you. I could feel Your arms around me, Lord. I could see Your likeness in the faces of Your children. Your company was comfort. Your presence, perfection. Your goodness, full of Grace. O Lord, I long for more moments. For You to be in them. For You to surround my days, and fill my heart.

Thank you. For a moment. May I have more? by Your Grace, may I please, have more?

No comments:

Post a Comment